German com! magazine has tested and compared 10 free antivirus tools
Issue 10/2009 of the German com! magazine published a big comparative of 10 freeware antivirus tools. The testing was executed by www.av-test.org. The In-the-wild test included 3200 of the most spread malwares. For the testing of the specific malware categories, they have used about 480,000 unique malware samples.
The following programs were tested:
- Avira Antivir Personal Free Antivirus 9.0
- Antivirus Software BitDefender 10
- Panda Cloud Antivirus Beta
- Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0
- Alwil Avast Antivirus Home 4.8
- AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.5
- Emsi Software a-squared Free 4.5
- Comodo Internet Security 3.10
- PC Tools Antivirus Free Edition 6.0
- Clamwin Free Antivirus 0.95
The detection test results for a-squared Free:
- Wildlist-Malware on Demand: 100% detected – best in test!
- Worms: 99.99% detected – best in test!
- Backdoors: 99.98% detected – best in test!
- Bots: 99.81% detected – best in test!
- Trojans: 99.95% detected – best in test!
- 5 active nasties: 100% detected – best in test!
- Heuristic (1 week without updates): 63.56% detected – best in test!
- Heuristic (2 weeks without updates): 52.72% detected – number 2 in test
- Ad- and Spyware: 99.57% detected – best in test!